Who can Campaign in an election?

Created by Eleanor Addison, Modified on Mon, 4 Dec, 2023 at 1:44 PM by Eleanor Addison

All current students can campaign in our elections for Part-time Officer (PTO) and Full-time Officer (FTO) roles.  

However, there are some things to consider:  

  • Full-time Officer positions are full-time and therefore it is ideal for students graduating this year or anyone who wants to take a year out from their studies.  
  • Part-Time Officer positions are fulfilled alongside your studies and therefore you cannot run in the spring elections if you’re already in your final year of university.  
  • Some positions are only open to candidates who self-identify as the respective type of student being represented by that role. For example, you must self-identify as a woman to become the Women’s Officer.  
  • International students can be Full-time Officers, but there are immigration implications that you should be aware of. If you receive financial sponsorship, discuss your plans with your sponsor before standing for election in case there are restrictions. If you stand as a Full-time Officer, this is permitted under the immigration rules, but you will need to extend your student visa at some point. It is important that you discuss this with an advisor from the International Officer before you start the role. This guidance is for student or Tier 4 visa holders. If you are here on a different type of visa, you should discuss your options with an advisor from the International @ Campus Life. (This information is for general guidance and does not constitute immigration advice. If you require more details about your rights or what action to take, please contact Campus Life via international.campuslife@swansea.ac.uk).  

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select at least one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article