What is the Societies Executive Committee?
The Societies Executive Committee is the key decision making body for Societies, where they provide feedback and input queries from Societies within their nominated category. They also decide on the outcome of any New or Adoption Society applications, and Finance Requests that come in. Members are decided by application and cover each society category, plus two Open Spaces.
The positions on the Executive Committee are as follows:
- Hobbies & Interests
- Performing Arts
- Cultural & International
- Politics, Campaigns and Liberation
- Academic & Employability
- Open Space
What are the key responsibilities?
The key responsibilities of the Societies Exec include:
- Deciding on the outcome of any New or Adoption Society requests
- Deciding on the outcome of any Finance request forms from the Societies Grant Fund
- Meeting with Societies within the Exec members respective category and gaining feedback on their experience
- Providing feedback to the SU on the Society experience, any improvements we can make and highlighting any other issues
- Passing on your expertise and advice as an established committee member to any Societies within your category seeking help i.e. how to engage members, creative events and socials to host, how to generate income etc.
- Passing on your expertise and advice as an established committee member to any New Societies to help them get started i.e. how to engage members, creative events and socials to host, how to generate income etc.
- Signposting to the relevant staff in the SU for any queries they are unable to deal with themselves
- Sit on Disciplinary panels when required to deal with conflicts involving Society members and committees
- Attending and supporting key Society-related events and training, such as Committee training, Know-how sessions and Open days
- Deciding on the awards from the Societies Tier and Rewards System (STaRS) and end of year Societies Awards
There are a few things we expect and require you to do as part of being an Executive Committee member
- Please ensure you attend our monthly meetings or send apologies in a timely manner, if unable to attend
- Review minutes from meetings and follow-up on any actions assigned to you
- Meet and communicate regularly with Societies. You'll be expected to provide an update from your nominated category monthly so would need to communicate regularly
- Do the relevant research and preparation for our monthly meetings
- Join our Exec Facebook Group and keep up-to-date with any information we pass on
- Address any queries or signpost to the correct place Societies can get their answers (such as referring to the relevant Helpdesk articles or to an SU staff member)
- Assistance with larger Society events hosted by the SU such as Committee training
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article